Sunday, November 04, 2007

Forget Thanksgiving!


Every year, I've noticed it. It is getting more and more evident.

Christmas is poised to take over the world.

I am not kidding.

Every year its season is creeping steadily more forward. It has already swallowed up Thanksgiving, for the most part. If things proceed as planned, Halloween will be next to take a back seat to the holiday.

It's already November, which means the holiday season is starting! There is no snow on the ground. The leaves aren't even all gone for heaven's sake. But I'm already getting Christmas catalogs. XM has already put up a Christmas channel and will be adding more soon. People are starting their Christmas shopping. Proof of this can be found in the local mall, which is already, undoubtedly in full-blown Christmas mode. Decorations, trees, Christmas sale signs and advertisements, Santas, carols on the mall radio, and all. Heck, somebody in my neighborhood is already proudly displaying their eight-foot-tall Christmas tree in their front picture window. They had it up two days before Halloween. It's in the process of being decorated now.

Not that there's anything wrong with this. Goodness knows I love Christmas. You should have seen how excited I got when I found the Christmas channel. But once Christmas starts creeping into the summer months, it will probably start to seem quite ridiculous.

1 comment:

  1. Chris, I am not lying when I tell you this but they had Christmas stuff up in July at Carson's Pirie Scott here in Chicagoland...!

    My mom came how shocked and upset, I didn't believe her so I went and saw for myself.
    IT WAS TRUE!

    We were just talking about how they seem to be moving Christmas plans closer every year!

    On the other hand, I listening to my fave Christmas songs all year round! ;op

    ReplyDelete