Sunday, August 19, 2007

Random Thoughts

Listening To: 99 Luftballons by Nena

Why do cameras start all their default file names with DSC?

I was in the pink on a storm a few days ago. By the way, pink is, on the weather channel intensity chart, even worse than dark red (very severe) is in the case of a thunderstorm. It can usually be found at the heart of the nastiest supercells. It doesn't occur often around where I am. In the midwest, the pink parts are usually the parts that spawn tornadoes, though it's too hilly for those where I am, thankfully. I can honestly say I've never been in the pink part of a storm before. It was impressive. I actually got pelted with dime-sized hail, the rain was coming down so hard I could barely see out the windshield, even with the wipers (I was in a car) and I saw like 8 huge bolts of cloud-to-ground lightning, pretty up close and personal.

The proper term for something that's misheard is a mondegreen. The Wikipedia article on this has a good amount of rather amusing examples. The worst one of mine is in Round and Round, by Ratt, in the line "Tighten our belts, abuse ourselves." The last bit sounds so much like "The pizza sells." That's what I thought it was for years and years.

When I was in the single digits, I had a very hard time telling the words union and onion apart. For years I thought the British flag's nickname was the Onion Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment